Thigs I wish I knew... part 1

Time feels like it stands still when you're a new mom.  Like LITERALLY stand still. I know this, because I conduced a highly scientific experiment once while on maternity leave.  It was a rough day, I was alone, I had no plans set up that day, all my friends were at work, or doing cool mommy stuff and I was hitting a limit.  So I challenged myself, told myself, I CAN DO THIS... and I sat, closed my eyes and waited as long as I could before I opened them again (and if I'm being honest here, I'm sure the ONLY reason I didn't fall asleep was because I was crying).... and when I finally opened my eyes the time on the clock HAD.NOT.CHANGED.

So now here I was crying with Colin crying, and the world was ending.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dramatic much?  Yes, now it does seem dramatic... but that was basically 7 months of my life... and I didn't actually start to feel like my old self until after I stopped nursing and pumping completely...

They say hindsight is 20/20, but I really wish that there were some things I had thought to ask, thought to understand, thought to KNOW before having a baby.  

I spent a lot of time daydreaming and making secret pinterest board about cute boy clothes, and NO time researching how to work my crock pot (because that invention is what saves lives and creates happy marriages people!)



So -- here it goes.. PART ONE:
FYI UPDATE:  Part I only has a #1.... because now it's 8:45, I got distracted by a group text... and well.. I'm a mom and my bedtime is 9pm and Colin's lunch still isn't made... :)  #teachmehowtomommy 


THE REAL THINGS YOU WISH YOU KNEW
before you had your baby.


1.  Make a playlist of songs you love and make you happy BEFORE you have your baby.

I was in the habit of making crazy mixes on my ipod FOR YEARS to Jam out to in my car.  These crazy mixes became my playlist for daily life with newborn Colin.  I'd been listening to some of those playlists for years, and as soon as a certain song came on it took me BACK to a happy memory!  Usually the memory involved lots of laughter and friends, and then I remembered I was cool!  Now when I hear some of those songs I remember dancing around the living room in my PJ's with Colin laughing at me from his swing!




to be continued.... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom