Auntie Week - Wednesday Part II Colleen

Auntie Colleen

Introduction: 
You know me as half of "teachmehow2mommy" but did you know that I am 31 and I still call all of my aunts "Auntie _____"?  There's Auntie Beth, Auntie Denise and the list goes on.  I love this term of endearment which is why it is truly an honor to be someone's "Auntie".  Quinny is my only a niece - good thing she is just enough to fill my heart.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week I talked about all the amazing aunts in my life.  I learned (and am still learning) from the best.

A little over a year ago I became an aunt for the first time.  Quinny may have been born in another country, but I did feel a connection with her - instantaneously.  She is my sister's baby - an extension of her and therefore an extension of me.  We share blood, genes, biology...but we all know it's more than that.

I feel like being an aunt is much like having one of my own babies, but there is a bit less worry and pressure attached.  I am not talking about the attitude of "I get to take them have fun and then drop them off to Mom and Dad" although I am looking forward to that.  It's more like, I feel like she's a part of me and my family, I just don't have to stress as much about the decisions like feedings, daycare and appointments.  I don't have to because that's inappropriate...that's the mom's job.  Mine is just to enjoy her.  And boy do I plan on doing that.

What I think I love best is the idea that I have already envisioned my kids growing up with Q.  They have an additional sister - one I didn't have to carry and birth.  I can't wait for her and Lucy to do sleepovers and for auntie Colleen to take Q for a week in the summer while Laura and Steve do something for themselves.

She is like a daughter to me and I take that very seriously.  It does not help that she is absolutely the sweetest, most gentle creature I have ever met (yes, that definitely includes my own children).  She's got an "old-soul" vibe about her which I am obsessed with.  You know those types of people are one
in a million - of course she is my niece!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom