Auntie Week -- Tuesday Part 2 - Auntie Erin

Auntie Erin


Introduction:
Auntie Erin took the second night of a long weekend when Mommy and Daddy had to leave Colin for the first time overnight  She not only jumped at the chance, she did so with open arms... and all while she KNEW full well that Colin was a less than perfect sleeper!  Talk about Auntie dedication. :) 
 We love our Auntie Erin <3
-Amy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A Moo and a Cheers!

by: Erin Hayes

Bubbles makes me a very happy Colin!


Just like Amy and Colleen I am a teacher. My special needs students ask many questions throughout the day, but my favorite one is “How is baby Colin?” They have a genuine interest in the new things he is doing. They really enjoy looking at all of his pictures on one of the cabinets in the classroom. One student in particular likes to give me a Colin quiz every few days. “Is he walking?” “Is he saying Dada yet?” “Does he make animal noises?” Being able to brag about how awesome Colin is makes me feel so excited to be his Auntie.

Spending time with Colin also helps me to see the world through a new set of eyes.  He is experiencing so much for the first time and trying to figure out the world around him. One of my favorite activities to do with Colin is to read books. He does the cutest thing when he wants to read a story. He selects a book and plops down in your lap ready to read. He is so motivated to learn new things and experience them with people that he loves. It helps me to appreciate the simple things that we take for granted in knowing. I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited about the cow saying “moo” before.



It is both wonderful and sad to see the new changes he is making. Amy and Brian had asked me to babysit one afternoon so they could attend an event. I was so ecstatic to spend some quality time with Colin and see what new things he was doing. We had a lot of fun reading, dancing, sweeping, saying “cheers” and clicking our drinks together (his was milk, mine was coffee). When it was time for him to go down for his nap I tried to help him feel calm and relaxed and I put him in his crib. He wasn’t exactly buying into the whole I’m in my crib and it’s time to rest thing.  Finally I gave in and we rocked in the rocking chair. And while he was falling asleep I couldn’t help but think how amazing it was to have him feel so comfortable and relaxed to fall asleep in my arms. I also got sad. I knew someday he would be taller than me, learning to drive a car, and maybe even growing a beard. He would obviously no longer need that level of comfort and connection to fall asleep. So I soaked in and we rocked. I listened to his breathing and felt him pinching my arm with his little fingers and I thought that this is a level of love I never experienced until he came along. This past 15 months has flown by and he has already changed so much. I love being an auntie to this wonderful little boy.
   
With Love, 
           Auntie Erin




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom