#Momcrush Monday

December 14th is a day a lot of us remember, especially if you live in Connecticut.

I remember I was six months pregnant and teaching when another teacher told me there had been a school shooting - in CT.  I think I remember being shocked and worried, but I wouldn't say it fully captured my attention until I looked it up and realized it was at an elementary school.

The weekend that followed was full of tears, a near obsession with media coverage and quick donations to a variety of charities.  I was, of course pregnant so already on the verge of emotional breakdowns, but I think many of us were moved to tears after listening to the stories that surfaced from the event:  teachers and administrators covering students, the quick locking of doors, hiding, telling students stories to calm them down, running down the street.  I put myself in the parent's shoes as they waited to hear news of their kids.  Unimaginable.  Brave.  Unnecessary.  Beyond words.

While honoring all those who were taken way too soon, I also want to honor the parents and family members who have soldiered on following the event.  Their strength is literally beyond words.

If you have time or interest these are organizations I subscribe to/check-in with/donate to (you may as well).

Image result for ana grace
Image result for sandy hook promise/









I know there are many more.  Whatever your thoughts on gun control, mental health, etc. I think we can all agree that it is admirable for these parents to take a life-shattering moment into something that means something.

We don't really have a crush on you - we are in awe of you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom