No!

How about we get our coats on and get in the car?

NO

What if we get our pjs on and get snuggly?

No

What about vegetables with your noodles?

No


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over vacation I realized that Lucy has finally realized that it is possible to rebel (and win). She has, thus far, been quite an easy baby and toddler.  She pushed a little along the way, but she often complies.  She never tantrums (unlike her brother) and although she may say "no" she always ends up coming along.

Well, that has recently shifted.

Sometimes I feel like I am talking to a wall.  Yesterday I think I took three separate instructions for a meal-time drink.  After the third "mistake" I made I thought to myself (WTF am I doing here?).

Also, Lucy normally makes me look great out in public.  I am never chasing her, yelling at her or for her and she is almost always polite and friendly.  Yet, over the past couple days I have had outings where I felt like the embarrassed parent.  You know...that parent.

Exhibit A:
This is not the actual photo, but it's how I remember it.
On the real only about 4 bread loaves fell, but this is how I FELT!
I knocked over a display at Stew Leonards. Details are not really important..they are too embarrassing to recount.  Let's just say running in two different directions and ending up with no children in either arm and a floor full of bread loaves was not cute.

Exhibit B:
I grabbed Lucy shoeless and kicking out of a play date.  It was about 10 degrees and I was close to crying just as much as she was.

Each day I went through a cycle of emotions - anger, sadness, disappointment, embarrassment and then the inevitable guilt.  As any good teacher does I immediately went to the internet to research.

Found this site that put things into perspective for me.  I love that she repeated numerous times that toddler rebellion is "normal."  Phew.  To be honest, I do much of what she suggests here, but I am going to continue on and be very, very faithful with my follow-through.  This is something I struggle with as a teacher too - who woulda thunk?

I also really liked this site.  I know reward systems are important.  I've done sticker charts, m&ms, marble jars - hell I am still doing them.  Lucy is very into "snackies" but I don't want that to turn into a bigger problem, if you know what I mean.  But I loved that "moon snack" idea.  It involves the nature, the world, special family time and a sugary treat - is there anything better?

Anyone else have suggestions that worked for them?  I am totally open.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom