Staying In

For the record:  I actually don't like Halloween any of the
activities normally associated with it.

This has been a long week.  I don't mean to complain (really) - it's just a fact.  Everyone in my family (with the exception of John, who is a machine) is showing some signs of exhaustion.  We have had doctors appointments, work obligations and illness.  Lucy has been under the weather and therefore not sleeping well.  Jerry and I took turns off an on comforting her and (at times) sleeping with her, so of course the toll of that is showing now too (mostly in the wrinkles that forming around my eyes).

On the weekends we go, go, go.   

I find that sugar helps any situation.
There are so many fun things to do right now in CT that it is possible to do something amazing in the morning then nap and do another, different amazing thing in the afternoon.  We had plans like that for this weekend, but instead we decided to just bunker down.  We don't do that a whole lot.  Even when I was on maternity leave or during my beloved summers...I am always thinking of things to do.  Relaxing is not my thing (cue a Saturday night blog, laundry and grading), but I am starting to see the necessity of it more and more.  

Today we passed on gymnastics class, Pumpkinfest and the ever-popular shopping.  We stayed home, did jack-o-lanterns, played duck-duck-goose, read and played pretend row, row, row your boat.  The kids really thrived.  There was minimal fighting, only a bit of whining and LONG naps.  We did it all with no tv.  Jerry and I gave each other a little free time too (I took a long run and Jerry went and helped his cousin roof...we are a family who does not know how to relax).   Either way, it was a wonderful reboot.

I tend to think that in order to get the kids stimulated and therefore ready for a mid-day break (NAP) that we need to do something exciting.  I realized today that a day at home doing indoor activities is  good enough.  In fact maybe it's exactly what we need.
Basically love personified.



Comments

  1. I always enjoyed hunkering down. I guess we New. Englanders are fairly good at it. That's why I enjoy closing up RI. I know it's time to relax at home to enjoy my sewing and crocheting knowing my family is close by. I can probably predict we shall be anxious for spring by March and ready to find new activities to keep us busy once again after winter cabin fever overwhelms us. Right now of course snuggling in warm Jammie's and comfy blankets suit us all just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree all the way!!! Since it's colder and rainy today it makes even more sense! Thanks for all your support and love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree all the way!!! Since it's colder and rainy today it makes even more sense! Thanks for all your support and love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom