A Mighty Woman with a Torch.

Thursday Thoughts 11/18

A Mighty Woman with a Torch.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  • The New Colossus By: Emma Lazarus

Emma Lazarus wrote the above poem and it is inscribed upon the beautiful Statue of Liberty.  This past week, I have thought about this poem many many times.  In fact, I thought about the Statue of Liberty many times.  The same statue given to us as a gift FROM FRANCE.   I actually looked up the Statue of Liberty on the National Park Service website and I found their opening quote so moving.  They clearly state: “"The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World" was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the United States and is recognized as a universal symbol of freedom and democracy.”
Think about that…..

I’ve thought about Lady Liberty often because when I think of her, I think of my family.   I’ve thought about my Great Grandparents entering the United States through Ellis Island (you can find my great grandmother's name featured on the island) I’ve thought of my Great Grandparents escaping the middle east and looking to the the states for safety and freedom.  The United States accepted them.  ALL OF THEM.  
Life here was not easy for them, and they worked hard.  They had to --  They left behind EVERYTHING in their countries; each for very different reasons.  But this country accepted them.  They created roots -- they added to the culture of this blended society and I don’t know what changed -- when the United States became a country that allowed it’s citizens to create a barrier.  Something did though --  Are people scared?  Yes of course, but the hatred I see and hear emanating from my peers confuses me.  DO they not understand the situation?  DO they have no compassion?  DO THEY REALLY THINK that those running from their home country WANT to leave?  DO they REALLY truly think that?  I just don’t understand…
Here’s what I want for these refugees coming to their new home.  I want those refugees coming here to look at Lady Liberty -- the same Lovely Lady I’ve been thinking about --  and I hope they understand that they are safe and they are home.  I hope their first sight of our beautiful country is of OF HER.  
They will very likely NEVER be able to see their home country again, and I want to make a fabulous first impression on them.  


**Note:  I was hesitant to even write anything about this topic, and I don’t claim to be an expert.. I also feel like I might lose some relationships because of my viewpoints -- I mean isn’t one of the cardinal rules “don’t talk politics”?  But to me this ISN’T politics.  THIS is HUMANITY, & being a good human is most important.**


.

Comments

  1. Thank you! I've been feeling like I'm the only one who sees it this way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom