Library of Chaos

No, honestly, did today reallllllllllllly have to be the day I wore my bright yellow faculty shirt with my NAME on it????

-----------------------

After lunch today I decided we were going to the library.
It was nearing nap time -- the worst time to head out of the house, but I have been determined to get Colin more accustomed to the library environment.

Third Times a Charm right???

See when we're at the library, there is VERY minimal reading happening.  Colin see the stacks of books as raceways, and RUNS as fast as he can UP and DOWN while I grab books at random and hopes he likes them when we get home.

There weren't too many people there today, and no other toddler aged kids, so this seemed like a win right from the start!

I did manage to complete two puzzles while Colin threw, like actually THREW, all of the plastic farm animals across the play area, and we did get a chance to play on the "special"  Ipads -- we played a Sesame Street App, a Grover App, a Minion App, Oregon Trail, Shapes & Numbers, Reader Rabbit, and Pooh Stickers, all in 7 minutes.


 But, there were two truly defining moments of my 45 minutes of pure library awesomeness:

Today's runner up for highlight of the day was when he decided to climb up on the librarians chair and start banging on her computer -- while I was trying to pick up all the plastic farm animals.
He was actually trying to climb over the chair to get the stuffed cookie monster -- but got distracted by the keyboard.
     I would like to thank the three parents he ran past who again, avoided eye contact and pretended we didn't exsist.  I would like to thank to librarian for not acknowledging our presence, and lastly I would like to thank Colin for increasing my heart rate and helping me get my sprints in today, because I don't know if I'll be able to fit a workout in since you only took a 47 minute nap.  


Today's winner for highlight of the day comes at the tail end of our library time.  We had just finished coloring a picture, which was actually just dumping the colored pencil's onto the table, yelling UHT UP, and then requiring BOTH of us to sing "Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody Everywhere" until I cleaned up all the colored pencils.
It seemed like we had both come to the end of our library stay and I thought after this musical adventure we would be able to gather our books and leave peacefully, but Colin decided #NOPE.  He was going to practice his screaming.  So I picked him up, and as we are walking past the line of lovely 8 year olds and their parents Colin swings his arm back and slaps me.  S.L.A.P.
      I would like to thank myself first and foremost, for venturing out of the house so close to nap time and only receiving ONE slap.  I would like to thank the mother of an 8(ish) year old for audibly GASPing -- thanks lady, that is truly helpful at this moment.  I would also like to thank the library for having a self-checkout in a secluded corner.    



We made it home, and Colin fell asleep in the care -- he slept for a solid 47 minutes  -- I had to rock him for 30 minutes, and then he slept for 8 more minutes.  I used those 8 minutes to start this post.  He's currently laughing along to some show on the PBS Kids app as I finish this up.... Go ahead, judge away, I can take it.   Plus -- I'm taking him to the pool once I hit send.. I'll be the mom in the full body bathing suit and the kid who just wants to play in the locker room.



P.S.  Here is Colin's version of the events stated above:


"1fR6FVGT97JUVB7U cdbggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg74w ekuy~ <m00M=<-
T3QAtyysxdcbyh3daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayhuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy5[P L,LKHVJVJ BJ  H N  N   UI IIUHJHauoIUIUOKUJJKJK<JLJa;x;x';x';yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy6c 7tytth  IUVUUJFUJFJCXSZ
ztttttttttttttttttt"







.

Comments

  1. Loved this. Not hard to admit these things, that's why I love you. We have all been there (in fact I was there today). BUT not everyone says it out loud. Colin is amazing...I love his fervor for life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom