Bye Comfort Zone - Nice to Know You

Recently, Amy and I have been talking about our comfort zones and how they have been shattered (purposely or not) this summer.

5 minutes into our visit and my anxiety is through the roof.
Markers on Nana's new deck. AHHH!
I am working on being a little more impulsive .  Instead of having everything scheduled for the kids, I am trying to go with the flow.  Hence, this week I decided to pack a few bags and bring the kids to the beach.  Of course I am lucky to have a place to go (thanks Mom and Dad).  I packed enough for a few days thinking if it goes well we will stay, if I get too tired or things are too hard I can leave.

I have a lot of pride so escaping was never really an option, but boy I came close.  The kids started pushing the limits immediately.  What can I climb?  What snacks can I pillage? Where can I run off to?  And, of course the ever popular how late can I stay up?

With Jerry these questions and rebellions are easily managed.  By myself? Not so much.  I found myself raising my voice with them.

Please stop that.
Stop it.
I said stop it.
STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP IT!!!!!!!

(I do the that's 1, that's 2, that's 3 too.  That's way more effective, but I fell out of my routines too).

Deer "hunting".  Look closely - we found 4.
After the first night I felt exhausted, discouraged and deflated.  I started the next day with a better attitude, but it was still a rough morning.  It wasn't until after a painful nap (as in it took longer to get them to relax than it did for them to actually sleep) that things shifted.

I got rid of some of the guidelines we use at home (schedule, food, etc.) and had fun.  We went to the beach until well after dinner time and took an insanely long bath.  We filled the night doing all sorts of nature things and instead of fighting them for bedtime I waited for the signs.    They still didn't go to bed until 9, but it was pleasant and fun.  I didn't raise my voice, because I was reading too many books and snuggling too much (if that's possible).

This was a gentle reminder that my kids don't change, but they certainly act different when they are thrown into a different setting.  I could force them to do the usual or we could make some changes that make everyone happy.

Comfort zones are great because they are comfortable, but sometimes not that fun.  I am glad to be having a fun summer that is not always that comfortable.  At the end of a long, tiring day it feels worth it.


One mom, one rickety dock, two toddlers.  Yes, please.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom