Savoring These Last Moments

I know it's important to "make the time".  I've been working on it all summer.  But what if time is kind of running out (or at least running low).

Recently anyone I come in contact with asks the big question "When is baby number three coming?" Wait, just joking (no one EVER asks that).  It's:

"When do you go back?"

It's soon ok.  It's Monday.  It hurts when I have to talk about it, but thanks for asking.

Instead of wallowing, I've been squeezing every good minute out of this week.  We've done lots of fun stuff and then also some regular stuff, but we've done it all together.  I've noticed that Lucy has gotten just a bit more special attention this week because of the nature of some of my errands (haircuts, etc.).  So, on this night I told Jerry I was taking out our son and we would be back when we would be back.  I said bye to my favorite girl and headed out with no plan.


We just ended up at the park, a perfect date for my little man.  He ate up the one-on-one attention and left with only one bad boo-boo.  He picked up two girls (one his age and one significantly older).  Not his usual record, but he was pleased. He smiled and sweat the whole time - the sign of a perfect night.

I focused most of my summer on doing everything together (mostly Lucy, John and me) but tonight I realized how important it is to do one-on-one things.  If I really think about it, he has never truly had only mom and dad's attention.  Lucy at least had 17 months to soak up what it's like to be an only child.  John will never have that.  Lucky for him he's the baby.

After John gave me a really wet, sweet kiss on the mouth I whispered to him that I will remember this well into winter (hell, I'll probably remember it when I send him off to college).  I am so thankful I had time this summer to bond with him as he becomes a little boy, because even though he will always be my baby boy, he is not one anymore.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom