This Isn't How it Always Looks, I Swear

Just this week we have had lot of visitors.  Some visitors were scheduled (Nana and Uncle Justin) and others were surprises - neighbors and friends.

In general I am not the biggest fan of surprise visits.  I am a planner (teacher much?) and so when I am caught off guard I am not at my best.  I got worse when I had kids.  If a visitor came when they were napping I nearly had steam coming out of my ears.  Yet, having kids also forces you to become flexible, so I often sometimes go with the flow.

The visitors this week have brought such joy to my home.  A visit by Uncle Justin made John into a temporary cuddle monster.  He doesn't readily go to other people that aren't, well, me.  Yet when Justin drove up in his BIG diesel truck he was a puddle of hugs.  Justin's visit is another story altogether - I'll share when I am ready to embarrass myself (which also may be NEVER).

Unfortunately, every time someone came over my house this week my house was in shambles.  I mean picnic blankets set up in one room, monster trucks over-flowing in another, a pile of clothes that Jerry's aunt dropped off in another, crayons/markers/glitter/stickers/coloring books, etc. all over the place.  The remnants of water balloons in every patio crevice in the backyard and the kicker - even though I make my bed every day Russel always lays in it and gets it messed up.  Take one peek in our main floor bedroom and you'll see wrinkles and blankets askew.

No, this isn't the worst - I cleaned up for a few
minutes before I thought to take a photo


Inner monologue:

  • Shit, she's going to think I didn't do the laundry (hence a pile of clothes two feet high in the FAMILY ROOM.
  • Damnit, I just had this clean now everything is everywhere.
  • Literally, looks like I woke up and had a fight with my sheets - damn you Russel.
  • Christ, these people think I can't hang - I can hang...I am hanging.
I swear that by 10 pm every night my house is clean.  It's not perfect, but it's organized vacuumed, mopped and neat.  I may have a load in the dryer and two others waiting.  I may have the coloring books stored as a huge pile in a closet, but the house looks nice.  When I wake up it's still the same.

It's just that tricky time of 7am to 8pm (those measly 13 hours) that it gets a little shaky.  Please don't judge, please accept me and my cozy cape for what we are and please (dear God) please call before you come.

#Justbeinghonest






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom