So You're That Kind of Parent?

Today during first period some of my kids asked me to come to their last home baseball game of the season.  To be fair, they tell me about all of their events (in May there is one every night).

In my past life (pre-kids) I would go to so many of my students' functions (baseball, basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, music, dinners, feasts, etc.).  It was no problem and I so enjoyed it.  

Now, it's complicated.

I get to what I can, but it's not a lot.  There are so many factors included in this and they span from kids' sickness to mom guilt. 

Well, it's finally warm here and I really wanted to go the baseball game tonight.  It was John's turn to get some one-on-one time with me and I knew he would love it.  So feeling motivated and enthusiastic I told the kids I'd love to go.

"What time again?" I asked (obviously a sign that it's been awhile since I attended a game).

 "7".

Inner monologue  - 7?  7???? Don't they know that 7 is bath time and reading time?  I can't be out on the town when I should be elbows deep in the Fancy Nancy series?  

So I tried to explain this to them (yes, this conversation lasted too long).  One student's immediate response was: 

"Oh, so you're that kind of parent?"

I've taught teens long enough to know that when they say things like this, they don't mean to offend you - it's just a knee-jerk reaction, an impulse.  Get pregnant back to back and you'll compile a list of comments that were much better left unsaid (flashback:  "Miss are you sure you're not having twins?")

Yes, I guess I am that kind of parent.  I know his insinuation was that a 7:30 bedtime is crazy and strict.  I see it as structured, habitual.  He looks at is unfair to my kids, let them have fun.  I, do, honestly...it just has to be before 7:30.  He may have even implied that I am creating nerd kids who go to sleep when it's still light out.  I look at it like..

Well, ok maybe I am.  But they NEED sleep and I NEED time to relax clean, make meals, grade, organize, create projects, watch Real Housewives of New York and look at Game of Thrones theories online.  Seriously, when else could I do any of this?

Happy Friday all!! Hope everyone enjoys their three-day Weekend!

See?? They have fun...just before 7:30!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom