That Look

This week I got that look. You know, the look a teacher gives before she's about to give a parent bad news.  I have mastered it myself, but I wasn't planning on being on the receiving end of it yet (at least not any time soon).

This week (well last week too) John has received some less than glowing reports from daycare.  This gentle critique is not really something I am accustomed to.  If you tell me how cute my kids are, how happy they seem, or how advanced they are I will encourage it.  In fact, in general that's what I am used to.

If you tell me one of my kids isn't perfect in every way, I guess I feel doubtful taken aback.

Well this week I heard:

  • John John didn't have the best of days
  • John took one of his friend's blankies
  • He laughed while he did it
  • He says ok once you talk to him and then minutes later, does it again
  • He kind of gave up on listening today.
Where are you getting this from lady?  He's an angel at home:




I went through a bit of an emotional roller-coaster about it (Ugh, get it together John, what can I do right this minute to fix this problem, what book can I get to help me be a better mom, WAIT, I bet he's just learning it from the other kids, actually never mind he's perfect).  Ultimately (after some reflection and yoga) I think this has been a good lesson for me.  I have great kids (review any previous blog entry for specifics), but they are not perfect.  I guess in fact they will disappoint me sometimes (yikes).  I am trying to remind myself that these are stages and they are temporary.  I am doing the best I can and he is a great little boy - my often sweet baby.  

Till then, I'll be taking a deep breath before I enter the daycare room.  

Thank God for my blogsister, Amy, who has experienced similar feedback about Colin.  If it happens to us (model parents who are raising two awesome boys) then it must happen to all, right?  Right? 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom