January Blues?

Seems like it's been a long January, no?

It could be the cold (although it's hard to complain this year) or maybe it's just the political climate.  Either way getting through the winter can sometimes be a challenge.  Personally, I've had my fill and I've got my eyes on summer, but I'm also in touch with reality.

 So instead of dwelling on things I cannot control, I'd rather talk about things that have made January wonderful.

1.  Strangers - It's not what it seems.  My favorite podcast, Strangers, has been killing it this month.  All the stories are true, but not all are happy.  Yet, somehow putting in my earbuds and listening to them makes grocery shopping at 9pm on Friday just that much less painful.  If you can, listen to "Wouldn't it be Nice" and "Two Men and a Baby".  They both filled me with positivity about the human race.

2.
This is Us - Need I say more?  All my students know my favorite kind of movie is the kind that "make you cry."  Thank God there is a show that makes this possible every week.  Mostly they are all happy tears.  I love the family flashbacks that seem both reminiscent of my life in the 80s, but also a true reflection of my current family situation.  Added bonus - Mandy Moore is in it!!!!

3.  Superficial - This month I started and finished Andy Cohen's most recent book, which is a diary of a year in his life.  Oh and what a life it is.  It's light reading and boy do I need that most days.  He makes me laugh, plus I love the gossip.

4.  Movies - Like, actually going to them.  I went twice in January - a true luxury that I have 0 guilt about.  I saw Fences - love - and Manchester by the Sea - life-changing.  Neither will make you Wizard-of-Oz-happy, but both will make you happy with everything you have in your own home (as messy and chaotic as it may be).

5.  Fresh Air - Put the heat up in the car and roll down the windows.  My kids love it.  Yes, it's cold but thrilling.  Shit, sometimes it's just nice to hear the wind instead of the whines.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom