Friends

Before bedtime this week I asked Lucy about her friends at school.  Since the beginning she's been best buds with a little girl named Lily (Lucy & Lily).  When Lucy had a hard time moving from the 2 year old room to the pre-school room, Lily took her hand and welcomed her.  When I pick up Lucy, Lily comes to say bye to her and me too.  They are adorable and it has been really nice for me to see that Lucy is capable of making a friend - yes, she's now a big girl.

But before bedtime that night Lucy told me Lily isn't going there anymore.  I don't know if it means this week or she went somewhere else.  Maybe their circumstances changed?  Maybe she's getting free pre-K from the numerous towns who offer it (BESIDES MINE)? I don't know.

Lucy was sad, and I was too.  Jerry told me later that I was being dramatic, "It's daycare, she's 3, there will be sooo many friends." I know he's right, but I caught a glimpse into the future.  The shifting of friendships, hurt feelings, girl drama.  Am I ready?  NO! I am so sensitive - as I've heard and have already felt - moms feel things deeper, harder and longer.



Today Amy and I (many others) are showering one of my dearest and oldest friends at her bridal shower.  I met her when we were 8 (maybe 7? I don't know I'm old).  Our friendship spans 25 years.  I couldn't imagine my life without her and many others who will be there. My memories are
intertwined with hers.  Everyone needs someone to remind you of how you looked and acted in middle school right?





I hope my kids are as lucky as I am to have friendships that last, because I'll be honest I don't know how much I can take of friends moving, leaving or deciding there are greener pastures (you know ones that take them away from the pastures that my kids visit).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom