Status: Single



The hardest part about having an only child... is that every first, is also the last.


Actually, I almost just went up and edited that line because I loathe the term "only child".  Maybe it's my own complex (probably is), but it just seems to imply *eye roll* ONLY child.  If you have one child, remember what is was like to have one child, or have been with me EVER... you know this eye roll moment that comes directly after I answer... "When are you going to have ANOTHER child?"....  "Is this your ONLY child?"  and it forces you into an uncomfortable position of defending your family structure... but I digress...


The hardest part about having one wonderful child is everything.  
It's hard to look around and not see many families that look like yours.  
It's hard to connect with the stresses of other families.
It's hard to stay consistent.
It's hard to go to the park alone (I don't always fit down the kid slides!)


The hardest part is that emotional elation we felt watching our child walk across the kitchen for the first time, realizing later that would likely be the only time we felt that feeling.  

First words are treasures. 
First smiles melt your heart. 
First full night of sleep is amazing.
First movie.
First road trip.
First beach experience.
First year of daycare.
First big boy bed.
First
First
First.
.
.
.
.
.
L a s t.



But listen... having one child has it's challenges, just like having many, but it also affords so many wonderful glories.  
Cousins will be constant companions.
My best friend's kids, will be his best friends.
Auntie time will be treasured.
I can buy that extra toy at Target (for me, and for him).
I can (usually) finish my coffee before it's cold (note: usually)
The love is NO less.
The hugs are just are strong.
The snuggles are just.as.special.



I guess the moral of this post is to enjoy your moments.  
We can all get easily tied up in the stresses of every day life, trying to survive just one more minute.

Whether you are on baby number 1 (and only) or baby number 2, 3, 4, 5..... at some point, your firsts will also become your lasts, and either way, it all goes by way too fast.








--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


P.S.  Justin Bieber says "never say never".... but in this case, I'd say don't get your hopes up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom