5 Things I Learned from Having Another Baby

So baby Holly Jane is two months old.  It's been a whirlwind.  I feel as though I officially gave birth at the worst time of year.  Not only was she born during a blizzard, but she went home in subzero temperatures and there has been snow, ice and rain to follow it up.  My "big" kids have had snow days, Presidents Days and vacation days making this one loud, messy and busy
house.

Yet, of course that all means nothing.  Holly is healthy and happy (well before 5pm that is) and I've always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and I guess that's what this is.  

I went into my third trimester thinking that having three was going to be a lot like having two.  It is and it ISN'T.  I kind of figured I had it down after John.  I've had an easy baby and a not-so-easy baby so I know what it's like.  Also, I've been juggling two for three years, how much different could it be to add one?

Well here are five things I learned about adding a third:

1)  Even though you've done it a couple times, it doesn't actually get easier.  Specifically, you don't worry less or go with the flow more if you didn't the first couple times.  I've been just as nervous and on-edge with this one as I was with my first.  The list of things that has kept my mind running is not limited to: breastfeeding, weight gain, sleep, probiotics, prebiotics, what the heck is the difference between pre and pro biotics, infant rashes, constipation, enough attention?, lack of sleep, too much sleep, head shape, color of poop...  I could go on.

2) It's actually never too early to start getting ready.  If you have to be somewhere at 8am, then there is really no harm in starting at 7 (pm, you know the previous night).  It takes a lot of time to get
everything you need ready, epecially when you are fitting in feedings and dealing with the temperaments of two lovely, yet very sensitive toddlers.  Have a free 15 minutes at 1pm?  Why not start dinner?  Everything can be heated up at 5 and that's about all I'll be able to do then anyways.

3)  Breastfeeding is a true commitment.  Wait I already knew that.  Breastfeeding is hard.  Wait I already knew that.  Breastfeeding is so rewarding.  Knew that too.  Yet, breastfeeding with toddlers around is a whole new ball game. My kids are very interested (in everything).  John even likes to know the technical terms for all the parts of my breast pump.  After going through mastitis (twice) he asks me often which one of my boobs is the boo-boo boob.   I CAN'T!

4)  Since I actually can't stand behind Lucy and John and clean up after every hurricane they produce (you know because I'm holding a baby), they've had to step up.  You can actually get toddlers to clean up after themselves, put dishes away, put clothes where they are supposed to go and more.  We've got routines now that prove their responsiblity (and allow me to sit for a few).

5) Three is better than two.  I'm tired and the house will never be nice again, but there is a lot of love here.  When you see two toddlers light up with joy when their baby sister (who probably can't even see them yet) wakes up, then you realize the true bond of siblings.

One last thing.  if someone offers to watch the baby, take the "big" kids somewhere or fold a little laundry?  Swallow your pride and say yes.  Just say yes.


Comments

  1. thank you for sharing. i love your story





    https://www.thingsababyneeds.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom