Another Mom Pushed Me Today

Ok, well that's an exaggeration.  No actually wait, I was pushed, just not with a lot of force.

I was out getting a coffee, sans kids. It's been so long that I've been solo that I actually went inside.  What a luxury it was to look at the menu and take my time making my coffee just the way I wanted it.  Anyways, while I was waiting a little girl walked in front of me - on a wet floor - and slipped right on her behind.  She wasn't hurt, but she looked startled and literally couldn't get up.  My mom instincts kicked right in and went down asking her if she was ok.  I used my own arm to help her up.  This took maybe 20 seconds.

I didn't notice her mom at first, I guess she was at my side.  In reaction to my assistance the other mother pushed my arm away and said "thank you" in a way that I understood meant "get your hands off my daughter."  It was all so quick I didn't have a reaction, but I left feeling really embarrassed. 

I know the need and fierce desire to protect my kids.  I have felt it numerous times already and my oldest is not yet four.  I've listened to enough podcasts, watched one too many Datelines and read countless books on child abduction and abuse.  I too, am scared out of mind over all the "what ifs."

But listen, I am not that person.  When did we get so protective and defensive that we can't help one another out?  I happened to be standing in a slippery spot and saw a little girl who needed a hand...

I guess there are a lot of factors that I might not know.  For instance, maybe the girl had special
I don't know..maybe I look crazier than I feel.
needs. Maybe the mom was so embarrassed that she couldn't handle it.

I guess I just like to think that if it happened to my kid, I'd be a little less hasty, a little more appreciative and a little more grateful that there are still nice people in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom