The Great Purge

Having my husband home this week has been useful and exciting in many ways.  Little nit-picky arguments aside, we managed to have a lot of wonderful family time and actually get some stuff done around the house. Rather, I should say we got a lot of different projects started and nothing actually finished.  Like, my husband gutted our upstairs bathroom (you know the only one up there) so that's a start.  Then we arranged the family room for a new couch and went shopping, but came home empty-handed.  We are making progress.

More importantly my husband and I both when through our closest and dressers and purged (donated) all our old/ugly/ill-fitting/stained clothes.  We had three black industrialized bags full and it felt so good to drop them at Savers. I am not positive what I'll be wearing over the next couple months, but everything is so much cleaner and lighter.  It's worth having to go naked to the grocery store.

While I was playing with the anti-nappers (Lucy and John) my husband expanded his purge to some storage areas.  He came up with lots of "interesting" things - things that should've been dumped years ago, but he also found all of the baby things I've been storing away.  The bulky things you don't want to get rid of if you think there might be a baby in your future (floor mats, swings, booster seats and that damn bumbo).  This isn't an announcement - I am not pregnant, but it was a realization.

He hauled some of it right in front of me and I thought (with fear, disappointment, anger) that it's all over.  He has decided that what we have going on is pretty perfect.  Let's "call it".  Let's appreciate what we've got and clear out all the excess.  I know what he's talking about - I get the same feelings.

But giving away the baby stuff?  That's so - final.

Just when I was about to say something - like WTF? - he said, "I am just putting this stuff upstairs, it's not going away Colleen."

Phew, breathe in and out.

We are both putting our hopes for a third somewhere in the attic, you know close to us but far away at the same time.  Time will tell, but some things are just too important to get rid of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom