Becoming the Middle Child

It didn't dawn on me until this morning that perhaps every member of my family is adjusting differently to the news that there is a baby on his or her way.  

I've been so focused on keeping up with the two I have (and a new position at work) that thinking about what happens after the baby actually gets here has not been high on the priority list.

Yet I am fresh off a rough week with my youngest and all of a sudden thinking about the future is all I can think about.

Sure it's been a tiring week (aren't we all feeling it).  He's also three, which has revealed its own challenges - ones that I am not accustomed to when he was two. But he's also about to be a big brother.  He's been my baby for three years and in less than two months that's going to change - permanently.  I'm a middle child - I know!

So last night when he woke up at 2am, crying and moaning I pulled him close to me and placed him gently right in my bed.  He put his arms around me and fell asleep (like a rock) for the last four hours that we had.

He never does that.  EVER. All day at work I wondered if he was getting sick, maybe night terrors, maybe this would just be his new norm?  It could be any of these...

Or it could just be a last minute effort at some extra mom time before my attention is diverted to his new sibling.  I don't blame him for that.  In fact maybe I'll just try to soak it in.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom