My Baby (for a while more)

Just before my baby turned three years old he made it known that (until January) he is definitely still my baby.

Today John turned three.  Three seems old, and at times he really seems it. He doesn't need me to play with him all the time.  I don't need to hold his hand when he's approaching a dangerous activity (he does it without permission anyways).  He even tells me sometimes often that he doesn't want my hugs.  He even (just this week) lost, albeit by accident,  the stuffed animal that he totted around for about 6 months.  "Tiggy" who was captured in every summer picture (including professional) this year, has magically disappeared.  We can't find it and instead of crying about it, John has taken it like a man (or at least a 6 year old).  That's right he is still going to sleep at night and going to school in the morning - all without Tiggy.

Yet, he's not off to college either.  He's had three years of being a baby and he's not giving up the title (easily).  To make it known, he woke up in the middle of the night with a fever and pleas for "mommy".  Even though I've only been at work for a couple weeks, I think my "baby" secretly knew that the only way to get some special time with me was to ruin our sleep with a fever (just enough time for me to write sub plans at 2am) and enjoy a beautiful sunny day with him.   Then even after we thought the worst was over, just for old time's sake, he puked all over me (hair to feet).  Again - "listen up mom, I may be three, but I still need you."

Well, he may not be my baby forever, but he'll always be my first son (perhaps my only).  Two was fun, but three will be better.  One thing's for certain - life would be way too ordinary without my John John.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Boys Will be Boys