I Traveled to Argentina for a Good Night's Sleep

Yes you read that title right..  I had to travel to Argentina to get some sleep. 


Ok, the truth is, my husband had to go on a global business week for school and his course took place in Buenos Aires.  I have wanted to go to Argentina ever since I saw the movie Evita.  You know, the one with Madonna and awesome music.  Anyways, when I found out he was going I quickly said, "I'm coming with you!" And set off to secure the grandparents for babysitting duty. 
I can't stress enough how vital this trip was to my sanity and survival.  I have been at a point recently where things have gotten really difficult.  I've been tired, cranky, totally touched out (I'm now the jungle gym to 2 very active little girls), stressed and overall just stretched far beyond my limit.  I haven't slept through the night in almost 4 years (because I did not sleep during either of my pregnancies, and have 2 kids who don't like to sleep either).  Needless to say, this trip came at a time when I needed it. 
 Despite the fact that I was about to visit a country I have always wanted to visit, I was most excited about all the time I'd have to sleep, think only about myself, and spend with my husband.  Granted, I thought of my kids every second and as soon as we got back to the hotel room and got on wifi from whatever we had been doing I was texting for updates.  But I wasn't thinking about how to manage a brewing tantrum, what to make the kids for dinner, trying to find the toy I know my kid is going to want in about 2 seconds , if we can get away without a bath tonight....and on and on with the million and one things that race through my mind at any given moment.  It was a nice break. 
The flight to get to Argenina is a long one.  We had a layover in Houston and then a 10 hour flight from there.  But I watched movies that I've been dying to see, got a little sleep and most of all didn't have to think about anything or do anything but just sit there.  Even though it was uncomfortable, it was heaven.  
But really heaven came when we got to the hotel.  We were in the four seasons, because Wharton doesn't do anything small! And it was luxurious!  We arrived in the morning and spent our first day touring the city.  We went to an awesome tango show at night and then spent 10 beautiful uninterrupted hours sleeping.  Talk about heaven!!!! We didn't have great weather, it was rainy on and off and pretty chilly, but we spent the few days we had there together touring different parts of the city, napping, taking in some of the culture and relaxing!  I got a massage, 3 nights of uninterrupted sleep in a row, some quality time with my husband and to see a city I have always wanted to see. 
I know there are those mom haters out there that will say, how can you be so selfish, how could you leave your kids for so long, what kind of mother does that, or whatever other bull they might come up with.  But I don't have any guilt about it. I give zero f&%ks.  I needed to miss my kids.  I started missing them the day before we even left.  And it felt good to miss them.  It has allowed me to enjoy them more, not get so easily frustrated, and be more present in motherhood.  
I hope this lasts.  Giving myself this time away, to hit the reset button, and focus on myself a little has made me a better mother.  And the next time I feel so burnt out, exhausted and completely drained, I'm going to do it again.  Next time I may just go to the Holiday Inn down the road, but I'll give myself the time I need to reset, recharge, and reconnect with myself. I highly recommend you try it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom