Confession: We Don't Do Professional Photography

Last week, an amazing photographer sent me the photos from the photo shoot Amy and I did a few days prior.  I teared up, then I showed my husband.  He said, "wow, these look professional."  That's because they are - sometimes I wonder what he's doing when I am talking...

Rewind.

Amy and I don't do professional photographs.  There are a lot of reasons why, (maybe none that are actually worthy).  We have Iphones and take pictures of our kids EVERY day.  Professional photos can be expensive.  Also (and sorry) but the ones we see streaming on Facebook often seem staged, weird, unrealistic (all while, yes, being beautiful).  But, once you start how do you stop?  Do you do them every year?  Wait, it's holiday we should get our pictures taken!  A new baby?  Better line up the photographer.  First tooth?  Call her up!

Yet, when a childhood friend offered to update our Teachmehow website with some new pics, we conceded - not only was it necessary, but maybe, maybe it would be fun.

Kelly Peterson works out of Plainville (when she's not guest posting for us) and I have known her for close to 30 years.  Instead of stuffing us in a portrait studio she suggested a park.  In all there would be four kids there so keeping them happy and occupied was priority number one.  We chose a time that was best for the kids (you know when they would be happiest).  We told her we wanted it to be casual, candid and not "perfect."  We also told her that our outfits would be casual; it wasn't likely our kids would have brushed hair and matching shoes.  She encouraged us, reminding us that this was a playdate with photos, not an exposé in Vanity Fair.  Somehow she knew just what I needed her to tell me - she understood we wanted it to be real.

We walked around our favorite park (Mill Pond) and played on the playground, hunted for ducks and turtles and even found the waterfall.  I guess she was taking pictures, after awhile I didn't notice.

We got the kids to pose a few times, but no tears were shed.  Even though it was hot, it was fun.

It took a bit over an hour, but of course some of that included eating munchkins and catching up.  It was, in essence, a perfect playdate, of course with one beautiful exception:

































Amy and I have been friends since we were 8 and although there are some classic photos that I hope never resurface from our mothers' basements, these are the best photos we have ever taken.  Yes, better than 2nd grade Girl Scout Memorial Day Parade shots, yes better than camping and slumber parties, wayyyy better than prom and way more appropriate than bachelorette parties.  This is probably because we have our kids in them, but also because we had a photographer who captured us in our best light and really listened to us.  Don't believe us?  You get three head strong toddlers in one photo on a 90 degree day.

I guess professional photographers aren't too bad.  As long as it's Kelly Peterson.


P.S.  She didn't ask to do this.  We just love her and had a really positive experience.  We were so against it, but because it was such a pleasure we thought maybe someone else might benefit.  This is not an ad.  ( :

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom