That Mom.


And by that mom I mean me.  Want to know a quick way to tarnish a perfectly magical morning?



It's a Monday in October and my school district called a snow day.  Well, it wasn't really a snow day but a loss of power day.  With the exception of freak ice storms, October days off are few and far between.  Even better?  My kids had a two hour delay.  So we got to enjoy a lazy morning off filled with a Halloween show, Halloween crafts and a few heated games of Hungry, Hungry Hippo.  Then, just when they needed something new to keep them occupied it was time to head off to school where they would learn, socialize, play and enjoy pre-k, while I shopped, cleaned and ate while listening to naughty podcasts - out loud!

So see gifts like this come but once a year (twice maybe).  I was feeling high on life until I brought my son to his room and saw the other mothers coming in with huge bags of "stuff." Shit. What did I miss? Then I saw their kids all dressed up in Halloween gear.  Shit, that's what I missed!

See, there's proof I've done numerous Halloween
things with them. I promise.
When I came in I couldn't help but think they were looking at me and my empty hands and stupid smile.  I know what they were thinking:  Yikes, how could she have missed it?

John really did look fresh today - crisp Nike sweats and an Ireland shirt, but themed for the party, umm no.

So right, I missed an email.  An email that instructed all parents to sign up for a snack and deliver your child in Halloween-themed gear on Monday so that all students (even students who just come MWF) can attend a Halloween party.  It was super thoughtful and sent well over a week ago - I just never opened it. It was stuck between junk and shipment confirmations and I just overlooked it.

John seemed unfazed, he's three after all.  I had the idea to go home and fetch his skeleton shirt, but I thought that would seem kind of desperate, so instead I lifted my head high and walked out.  I got in the car, searched through my email, called my husband (not helpful) and thought of ways to fix the problem.

I was kind of tired too though and over 7 months pregnant, so instead I just resigned to be "that mom."  It was my turn after all.  I think with the third kid I'll have this down pat, right?

I hate Halloween.


Comments

  1. That is why email messages are not a good communication tool. Hard copies, posters and reminders are best served, even 5th grade moms need a plethora of reminders. Parenting is 2 full time careers rolled into 1. You did good. Trick or treat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a hard copy mom!!! That's the only way I don't forget. UGH! I still need a better system! Thanks Mama Sue!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom...The Potty Flipped Over

Read Number 6.

Guest Post - They Won't Get It, They'll Think I'm an Awful Mom